Monday, May 4, 2015

Spirited Away Questions

Spirited Away incorporates many elements from classical Western literature and folklore: people who magically turn into pigs (the Odyssey); the hero’s quest; the prohibition against eating the food of the Faerie (Irish folkore); a girl who goes to Grandma’s house (“Red Riding Hood”); the need to solve riddles. Do these familiar elements make the story easier to understand, or does their appearance in a Japanese film make them too alien to be helpful?

  • I'm not sure. I didn't notice any references to classical Western fairy tales, so I guess that means it may be too alien.
Does it make sense to think of bodies of water as possessing spirit? Have you ever had a relationship with a river, a pond, an ocean, or the rain that prompted you to speak to water? Have you ever been rescued by a body of water? Have you ever cleaned a body of water?


  • think it could be believable that bodies of water are possessing spirits. I have (I guess) had a close relationship to a lake by my grandma's house, but not close enough I would talk to it. I have never been saved by a body of water. I also don't remember having cleaned a body of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment