Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Low Key Crystal


Danielle
“Low Key Crystal”
Made in ­­­Photoshop CC
March 1st, 2016
  
Technical
To practice I took a picture of a pug and followed the steps I was given. After practicing, I took a photo of my own dog Crystal, a Jug (Jack Russel and a Pug mix). I then used a channel mixer to make it monochrome then made a levels layer and played around with the darks and lights I ended up creating the above picture.
Idea or Concept
I really only wanted to complete the tutorial. I tried to make the picture as dark as I could without losing the light in Crystal's eyes.
Influences
No artist influenced me during this piece.
Composition
With this piece, I feel that the eyes explore the lighter parts first before moving around the dark/black. I like how as dark as it is, there is enough lighter parts that you can see an outline and make out that it is a dog.
Motivation
Beyond fulfilling the assignment, I wanted to see if I could create a dark/low key picture like this without it bugging me (I like dark colours/black but not so much it covers the picture). The above picture is as dark as I could go without having second thoughts. I really like how the lights around Crystal's head create an outline and make her stand out a bit more. With additional time I would have played around with the levels a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment